Thank you for participating in our 2015 campaign! Our main outreaches are over but we’ll be hosting mini-ones on Thursday evenings. More details to be posted here in March.
- Downtown Outreach (New York Chinese Alliance Church: 162 Eldridge St)
- Eastside Outreach (Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church: 7 West 55th St)
- Westside Outreach (Calvary Baptist Church: 123 West 57th St)
- Uptown Outreach (Bethel Gospel Assembly: 2-26 East 120th St)
All details for volunteer positions and team leader training is below.
HOW DON’T WALK BY WORKS
- We split Manhattan up into four zones (Downtown, Eastside, Westside, Uptown) and cover one zone each Saturday in February.
- We bring our services (meals, clothing, basic medical care, resource referral) to an anchor church who is hosting in that particular quadrant.
- Street & Subway teams are formed from registration and assigned a team leader who has gone through our team leader training. They go out to assigned subzones within that Saturday’s zone on a search and rescue mission walking every block or subway platform.
- When our street or subway engagement teams meet someone who would like to return to the anchor church, they contact our transportation team who will arrange for a pick-up. The volunteers wait with the guest until they are picked-up by transportation.
- Back at the anchor church, Hospitality staff and volunteers await guests who will return to the anchor church to take advantage of what we’re offering that day. Guests can also speak to our resource team about alternatives for life on the streets. Guests will also have the opportunity to stay at our overnight private shelter (at The Bowery Mission or NYC Rescue Mission).
TYPES OF VOLUNTEER POSITIONS – You can only sign up for one position for each outreach
- Street Engagement
- Walks a 10×10 block radius with team on search and rescue mission to find the homeless, and offer them a ride back to the anchor church for food, meal, clothes, etc.
- Must be at least 18 yrs old
- Subway Engagement
- Rides a subway line with team on search and rescue mission to find the homeless, and offer them a ride back to the anchor church for food, meal, clothes, etc.
- Helpful to have an unlimited Metrocard as we cannot provide one for you if you choose this role.
- Must be at least 18 yrs old
- Team Leader (Street or Subway Engagement) –
- Leads a team of the above mentioned volunteers with map, homeless tracking info, and transportation contacts.
- Must attend a team leader training and will be prompted to select one of 2 dates during registration
- Must be at least 21 yrs old
- The team leader should be able to multi-task and delegate tasks as appropriate and fitting to team members. Their priority is to ensure the safety of the team, that multiple tasks are assigned and delegated, keep the team on its mission and cover their assigned zone, and to be the point contact person for the transportation team.
- Works at the anchor church to provide a smile, meal, clothing, medical treatment, resources, and more to the homeless guests that arrive off the streets. Specific assignments will be given at training / orientation.
- Must be at least 16 yrs old
- Medical Professionals (Medical Doctors, registered nurses, physician assistants, EMTs, Medical practitioners, certified counselors)
- Transportation We always need more vans to help with transportation during the outreach. If your church/family/organization has a van, minivan, and can offer a driver, we could use it.
TEAM LEADER TRAINING
You must register to attend ONE team leader training. When you register as a team leader, you will be prompted to select a training date.
Training Dates & Times (a pizza dinner is provided):
Thursday Feb 12th; 6:30-8:30pm
Location: The Bowery Mission Administrative Headquarters
132 Madison Ave, 2nd Fl conference room (corner of 31st St.) NYC Friday Jan 30, 6:30-8:30pm
Hope For NY Office – 1359 Broadway, Suite 410 (b/t 36th & 37th St.)
You will need to bring ID to enter the building. Monday Feb 2, 6:30-8:30pm
Location: The Bowery Mission
227 Bowery (between Prince and Rivington St), 2nd Floor
Enter through the dark GREEN doors (not the red doors).
Please stop at the front desk.
In addition, this year we have added optional hands-on outreach training where you will go out in teams of 4 to practice outreach prior to leading your team. Those dates are:
Thursday Jan 29, 6pm-8:30pm Thursday Feb 5, 6pm-8:30pm Thursday Feb 12, 6pm-8:30pm
Optional outreach meeting location: St. Francis Church – 135 West 31st St, Enter far left side entrance (between 6th & 7th Ave – close to Penn Station)
You are welcome to register for multiple Saturdays of outreach. If you sign up to be a team leader, we would love if you could be a team leader for multiple Saturdays if possible.
SERVING AS A TEAM / CHURCH GROUP
We would love for you to sign up with your church, community group, or group of friends. The best way to ensure that your team will be together is to have 6-8 people in your team, a designated team leader (age 21+) who will attend the team leader training, and no more than 4 males OR 4 females per team. Here’s how it works:
- As a group (of 6-8 people, age 18+), decide on an outreach date to volunteer.
- Determine if your group will be doing Street or Subway Engagement and inform all team members to select this choice when registering.
- Choose a team name and designate a team leader (age 21+) who will attend a mandatory team leader training (on Jan 26 or 30th, 6:30pm-8:30pm)
- Each person on your team will still need to register individually but enter in the team name that you have determined together ahead of time. If there are multiple teams from the same church, please create unique team names.
- Flexibility is key. While group affiliations are taken into account when assigning outreach teams, Don’t Walk By assigns teams with specific safety constraints in mind and to best serve our homeless neighbors (i.e. co-ed groups, 6-8 people per group, etc). We recommend having 1 team leader for every 6-8 people in your group. DWB coordinators will assign your team to a specific zone to walk. You may be placed on another team than your choosing, so we thank you in advance for your graciousness and flexibility!
- If you do not have a group of at least 6 and would like to be grouped with others, please list their names when you register. We will do our best to honor those requests.
Thanks for volunteering to be a part of this unprecedented homeless outreach campaign!
OTHER WAYS TO VOLUNTEER
New Hats & Gloves. We need new hats and gloves to give away. Insulated gloves, large and XLarge sizes, dark colors. You may drop them off on the day of the event at the anchor church.
New or Gently used Coats. We also need coats! Large, XL, and XXL sizes and dark colors are preferred. These may also be brought on the day of the event at the anchor church.
Other items needed. Belts, shoes (men’s – sizes 10 and up)
Why Volunteer? Watch our 4 minute promotional video: