Registration is CLOSED. Waitlist is full.
Join us in Feb 2015! Registration will open January 1, 2015.
- Saturday Mar 1 - Uptown Outreach at Bethel Gospel Assembly (26 East 120th St, b/t 5th & Madison Ave, 10035)
Saturday Feb 22 - Westside Outreach at Calvary Baptist Church (123 W.57th St, b/t 6&7th Ave, 10019) Saturday Feb 15 - Eastside Outreach at Fifth Avenue Presbyterian (7 W.55th St, at 5th Ave, 10019) Saturday Feb 8 - Downtown Outreach at Oversea Chinese Mission (154 Hester St, corner of Hester St. 10013)
Waitlist - If you have signed up on the waitlist, once a spot becomes available, depending on your # on the list, you will be emailed of the availability and have 4 hours from notification to register for the open spot before it goes to the next person.
Types of Volunteers
- Street Engagement
- Walks a 10×10 block radius with team on search and rescue mission to find the homeless, and offer them a ride back to the anchor church for food, meal, clothes, etc.
- Must be at least 18 yrs old to qualify
- Subway Engagement
- Rides a subway line with team on search and rescue mission to find the homeless, and offer them a ride back to the anchor church for food, meal, clothes, etc.
- Must be at least 18 yrs old to qualify
- Team Leader (Street Engagement or Subway Engagement) –
- Leads a team of the above mentioned volunteers with map, homeless tracking info, and transportation contacts.
- Must attend a team leader training and will be prompted to select one of 2 dates during registration
- Must be at least 25 yrs old to qualify
- Works at the anchor church to provide a smile, meal, clothing, medical treatment, resources, and more to the homeless guests that arrive off the streets.
- Must be at least 16 yrs old to qualify
- Medical Professionals We also need medically trained professionals.
If you would like to volunteer in this way, please contact Jaime Hayes directly at DWBmedical@gmail.com.
- Transportation We always need more vans to help with transportation during the outreach. If your church/family/organization has a van, minivan, and can offer a driver, please contact David Van Fleet directly at email@example.com
Team Leader Training Dates
You must register to attend team leader training. You only need to attend one day. Once you register as a team leader, you will be prompted to select one of the following training dates:
Tuesday Jan 28, 6:30pm – 8:30pm Thursday Feb 6, 6:30pm – 8:30pm (at HFNY Office – 1359 Broadway b/t W. 35th & 36th St, 4th Fl)
- *NEW* Thursday Feb 20, 6:30pm – 8:30pm (at Christian Herald – 132 Madison Ave, corner of 31st St., 2nd Fl )
In preparation, please make sure you’ve read the description of each type of volunteer as well as the dates and locations for each week’s outreach. You’ll need to know this when you head to the registration site to sign up. The FAQ page covers most of these details.
You are welcome to register for multiple Saturdays of outreach. If you sign up to be a team leader, we would love if you could be a team leader for multiple Saturdays if possible.
We would love for you to sign up with your church, community group, or group of friends to volunteer. Here’s how it works:
- As a group, decide on a date to volunteer and if your group will be doing Street OR Subway Engagement.
- Choose a group name. If your group wants to serve together, decide who will serve as the Team Leader (1 Team Leader for every group of 6 with a mix of males and females) and write his/her name on the registration form. Team leaders must register to attend one team leader training.
- Flexibility is key. While group affiliations are taken into account when assigning outreach teams, Don’t Walk By assigns teams with specific safety constraints in mind and to best serve our homeless neighbors (i.e. co-ed groups, 6-8 people per group, etc). We recommend having 1 team leader for every 6 people in your group. DWB coordinators will assign your team to a specific zone to walk. You may be placed on another team than your choosing, so we thank you in advance for your graciousness and flexibility!
Thanks for volunteering to be a part of this unprecedented homeless outreach campaign!
OTHER WAYS TO VOLUNTEER
New Hats & Gloves. We need new hats and gloves to give away. Insulated gloves, large and XLarge sizes, dark colors. You may drop them off on the day of the event at the anchor church.
Transportation. We always need more vans to help with transportation during the outreach. If your church/family/organization has a van, minivan, and can offer a driver, please contact David Van Fleet directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Medical Professionals, We also need medically trained professionals. – We are no longer in need of medical professionals for all 4 outreaches.
Why Volunteer? Watch our 4 minute promotional video: